.quickedit
BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 27, 2009

Resort Chat: Julie Hyzy



The Book Resort is thrilled to have the terrific Julie Hyzy over to spend Thanksgiving week w/ me for Mystery Lover's Kitchen Thanksgiving Week.



I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving week filled w/ happiness, warm friendships, laughter, love & cherished memories w/ your loved ones.

Embrace your loved ones & treasure your family!



I'm going to kick off my 1st Mystery Lover's Kitchen Thanksgiving Week w/ the lovely ladies favorite Thanksgiving memories & favorite dishes!



Thanksgiving Dish:

My favorite Thanksgiving dish is my family's stuffing. It's a heavy recipe with lots of bread and ground beef, sausage, and gizzards, but no sage. I could eat this stuffing every day of my life and be in total bliss! My parents always hosted Thanksgiving -- for about 26 people -- and now my brother hosts this holiday. When we were kids my brother and I were in charge of dusting all the chairs which, at the time, we thought was one of the dumbest things ever. Who dusts chairs? We sat in them, we didn't eat off of them. But I get it now. And I would love to be able to be back in our old house, smelling those wonderful aromas of baking turkey and sizzling onions, and running around the basement with dustcloths, knowing that our cousins and aunts and uncles were arriving soon. I miss those days!





Me: What are you working on now? (If you can give us a hint!)

JH: I'm currently working on BUFFALO WEST WING, the fourth book in my White House Chef series, and I'm about to start on Book #2 of my Manor of Murder series, the first of which -- GRACE UNDER PRESSURE - will debut in June of 2010.


Me: Spiderman or Superman:

JH: Superman. Absolutely...


Me: Wonder Woman or Batgirl:

JH: Batgirl! (I was Batman for Halloween for *years* and our cat's name is Kitka -- Catwoman's alter-ego in the original Batman movie with Adam West. I had such a crush on him!)


Me: Chunky or Smooth:

JH: Chunky


Me: Favorite flavor ice cream:

JH: Chocolate Chip Mint (though my kids argue that it's called Mint Chocolate Chip)



Me: Favorite ice cream topping:

JH: Hot Fudge!



Me: Subway or Taxi:

JH: Taxi


Me: Broadway Show or Movie Theater:

JH: Broadway Show. But I do love going to movies.



Me: TiVo or DVR:

JH: I don't know yet. I'm stuck in video-tape-land when I want to record something. But I do have a DVD player... does that count?


Me: Favorite vacation place:

JH: Anywhere with my husband and kids.


Me: Next vacation destination:

JH: DisneyWorld - my daughter's band is traveling there for a competition. I do love Disney. They know how to keep guests happy.


Me: Favorite NYC hotspot:

JH: The Algonquin hotel lobby bar with writer friends.


Me: Guilty Pleasure:

JH: Watching Star Trek, the Next Generation


Me: Good luck charm:

JH: A pair of special earrings


Me: When you were a little girl, you thought you would grow up to be a….

JH: Writer. Always



Eggsecutive Orders January 5, 2010




Me: Last thing bought at the mall:

JH: A really great dress that I wore at the Berkley party at Bouchercon and plan to wear again this week!



Me: Item on your grocery list:

JH: Half and Half


Me: French fries or Onion Rings:

JH: Mmm.... tough one. Depends on where I am. But onion rings are always a treat.


Me: Pizza: New York or Chicago?

JH: Chicago - no question about this one. I grew up almost next door to Home Run Inn Pizza... By far the best pizza on the planet. Buttery crust. Just the right amount of grease on top. Yeah you can find it in the freezer case at the grocery store, but fresh is the only way to go.


Me: Midnight snack:

JH: Potato chips or Dove Chocolate. Healthy, huh?


Me: Bookmark or dog ear?

JH: Bookmark, but with whatever is handy. Sometimes weird stuff.


Me: Read with dustjacket or remove it?

JH: With.








Me: Ocean, Lake, Desert, Mountain:

JH: Lake. I've grown up near Lake Michigan, that's where my heart is.


Me: Favorite book:

JH: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon


Me: Item you can't live without:

JH: My computer


Me: Who is your favorite writer that most people have never heard of?

JH: Tony Perona


Me: What kid or teen books made a difference in your world growing up?

JH: A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett



Me: Where do you like to write your books (bed ~ coffee shop ~ an office)?

JH: At home in my cave ;-)


Me: Describe your ideal place to write:

JH: Here, at home, at my desk - when nobody else is in the house and it's quiet.


Me: What are you reading @ the moment?

JH: Several books --
Diana Gabaldon's THE FIERY CROSS
Krista Davis's THE DIVA RUNS OUT OF THYME
Sheila Connolly's ONE BAD APPLE
Hannah Dennison's SCOOP


Me: Where do you usually read?

JH: My favorite place is in my chair in the family room, but I can read anywhere.



Me: Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?

JH: Yep ;-)(see above)


Me: Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?

JH: Interesting question. Yes. I read nonfiction at the kitchen table. I never realized that until you asked!

Thank you, Julie! Happy Thanksgiving!


About Julie:

Julie Hyzy's first experience with food included flipping burgers and chopping onions at a neighborhood hot dog stand. She traded that experience for a job as a singing waitress at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour -- but gave that up when she started college (and because she couldn't carry a tune).

Over the years, she's acted in community theater productions, appeared in television commercials, and crashed a previously all-male fraternity to become one of the first female brothers in Loyola University's Chapter of Delta Sigma Pi. Julie had dreams of becoming a writer, but family, friends, and frat brothers convinced her otherwise. Having held positions as junior officer at a downtown bank, office manager at an architectural firm, and financial advisor at a prestigious wealth management company, she realizes that the business degree was probably a good choice -- but fiction is truly her passion. Now, with some well-earned life experience behind her, she's delighted to finally be able to make writing a priority in her life.




Check out:

Julie's website

Mystery Lover's Kitchen

Julie on Facebook

Julie's MySpace

Julie on Twitter

Julie's Blog





January, 2008


0 Friends chat back...: