.quickedit
BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Resort Chat: Heidi R. Kling


The Book Resort is thrilled to have Heidi R. Kling over for a little chat. Heidi is one of the fantastic tenners.

Ready? Let's go!


Me: What are you working on now? (If you can give us a hint!)

HRK: A fantasy book that is a proposed trilogy. It involves magic and surfing. I hope to announce good news very soon.

Me: Spiderman or Superman:

HRK: Spiderman. Hands down.

Me: Wonder Woman or Batgirl:

HRK: Are we talking Underoos? Then the answer is Supergirl.

Me: Chunky or Smooth:

HRK: Peanut butter? Smooth.

Me: Favorite flavor ice cream:

HRK: Chocolate chocolate chip.

Me: Favorite ice cream topping:

HRK: Hot fudge.

Me: Subway or Taxi:

HRK: Taxi. Though Jon Skovron said he's making me take the subway when I visit New York.

Me: Broadway Show or Movie Theater:

HRK: I love both!

Me: TiVO or DVR:

HRK: Had and loved my TiVo. Now I have a DVR. They have revolutionized TV viewing.

Me: Favorite vacation place:

HRK: Anywhere with my family.

Me: Next vacation destination:

HRK: We just got back from Disneyland. I'm going to New York in December. I love to travel. Have wheels, must roll, right?

Me: Favorite NYC hotspot:

HRK: Anywhere writers are hanging out.

Me: Guilty Pleasure:

HRK: I'll never tell.

Me: Good luck charm:

HRK: My butterfly necklace.

Me: When you were a little girl, you thought you would grow up to be a….

HRK: Writer.

Me: Last thing bought at the mall:

HRK: A four cup Cuisanart coffee maker. My espresso machine was possessed momentarily and I needed a quick fix.

Me: Item on your grocery list:

HRK: Organic things.

Me: French fries or Onion Rings:

HRK: Neither. But if I have to choose, French fries. I loathe onions.

Me: Pizza: New York or Chicago?

HRK: Neither. I like California pizza. =)

Me: Midnight snack:

HRK: Water.

Me: Bookmark or dog ear?

HRK: Dog ear though it's a bad habit.

Me: Read with dustjacket or remove it?

HRK: Read with.

Me: Ocean, Lake, Desert, Mountain:

HRK: Yes please! Oh you want me to choose. Ocean of course, then mountain, then desert, then lake.

Me: Favorite book:

HRK: To Kill A Mockingbird popped to mind. I like books that inspire as well as entertain.

Me: Item you can't live without:

HRK: My husband and kids.

Me: Who is your favorite writer that most people have never heard of?

HRK: William Shakespeare. Wait. Have you heard of him?

Me: What kid or teen books made a difference in your world growing up?

HRK: Everything by Judy Blume.

Me: Where do you like to write your books (bed ~ coffee shop ~ an office)?

HRK: Home in my kitchen (Yes, my desktop is in my kitchen) or on my bed with my laptop. I also like writing in coffee shops. I drafted all of Jade (my fantasy) at Starbucks. I also like to write while traveling. Parts of SEA (coincidentally the steamiest parts) were written while traveling in the South of France and in Paris.

Me: Describe your ideal place to write:

HRK: Anyplace with coffee where my kids aren't. =)

Me: What are you reading @ the moment?

HRK: The Secret Year. A Tenner ARC by Jennifer Hubbard. It's fantastic.

Me: Where do you usually read?

HRK: In bed, on the couch, in the bathtub. I don't have time to read as much as I'd like, but I do what I can.

Me: Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?

HRK: Yes. I abandon books halfway through a lot because I forget to go back to them. My house looks like a YA bookstore. I have so many gorgeous hardcover books. I love to support my local indies and all my friends. I swear I buy so many books that I don't have time to read. Oh well, in the nursing home I'll have plenty to do!

Me: Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?

HRK: I don't read much nonfiction. I have so little time to read I save that for fiction mostly YA, mostly written by my friends. =)


Thanks so much for having me!

Thank you, Heidi!

FYI, Heidi is the co-moderator/creator of The Tenners.


About Heidi:

Born and raised in California, I grew up all over the Golden State, changing schools every few years as my parents moved searching for the ‘ideal’ spot to raise their family. From very early on, I discovered a love of writing and creating—whether my words were in the forms of songs or poems or neighborhood plays. Even if I was at a brand new school, I always felt at home putting pen or marker or crayon to paper.

In high school I discovered acting and was cast in the role of the whimsical Clarisse in the spring production of Fahrenheit 451, a dystopian story of a world without books; a bleak and disturbing future where books are banned—burned by fireman—and preserved only through people’s memories.

This story changed the way I viewed life and I decided I wanted to be a writer. For real.




Check out:


Heidi's website

Twitter

Facebook

GoodReads

Myspace

Livejournal

The 2010 Tenners


SEA arrives June 1oth 2010.


Now available for pre-order!


Amazon.com

IndieBound

Borders






0 Friends chat back...: