.quickedit
BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Resort Chat: Jenn McKinlay




The Book Resort is thrilled to have the delightful Jenn McKinlay over to spend Thanksgiving week w/ me for Mystery Lover's Kitchen Thanksgiving Week.


I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving filled w/ happiness, warm friendships, laughter, love & cherished memories w/ your loved ones. Embrace your loved ones & treasure your family!

I'm going to kick off my 1st Mystery Lover's Kitchen Thanksgiving Week w/ the lovely ladies favorite Thanksgiving memory & favorite dish!



THANKSGIVING MEMORY AND DISH:

My best Thanksgiving memory is playing in the marching band in high school. Every Thanksgiving Day, we played at half time and in the stands during the game to cheer on our team against our arch rivals. On this particular year, it was a bitterly cold day in New England and we were freezing our butts off in our Polyester uniforms. Then, the drummer I'd had a crush on for years opened a thermos of hot apple cider and shared it with me. It was a perfect life moment.

Don't laugh, but my favorite Thanksgiving dish is my mother's Jell-O salad. She makes it every year and it still means Thanksgiving to me.

In a 2 qt casserole dish, she makes 2 packets of lime Jell-O and just before it solidifies, she mixes in a can of fruit cocktail. Then she whips a packet of lemon Jell-O with one cup of hot water and one package of cream cheese and pours it on top. Then she chills it over night. I still try to scoop more of the lemon part than the lime onto my plate, but both are delicious.





Me: What are you working on now? (If you can give us a hint!)

JM: Currently, I am writing the sequel to SPRINKLE WITH MURDER called BUTTERCREAM BUMP OFF . Murder and cupcakes -- what's not to love?

Me: Spiderman or Superman:

JM: Neither. I was always an Aquaman kind of gal, which is interesting
because I have heart pounding phobia of deep water.

Me: Woman or Batgirl:

JM: Batgirl. She's got a cooler outfit and more gadgets.

Me: Chunky or Smooth:

JM: Smooth.

Me: Favorite flavor ice cream:

JM: Coffee.


Me: Favorite ice cream topping:

JM: Hot fudge, but it has to be from Friendly's (an ice cream shop in New England).

Me: Subway or Taxi:

JM: Subway. It's much more adventurous.

Me: Broadway Show or Movie Theater:

JM: Broadway -- Always!

Me: TiVo or DVR:

JM: Neither. I am technologically inept and have to live with whatever is available OnDemand.

Me: Favorite vacation place:

JM: Italy.

Me: Next vacation destination:

JM: Unknown as yet. My vacations are generally planned last minute by the seat of my pants and are always a surprise even to me.






Me: Favorite NYC hotspot:

JM: FAO Scwartz on 5th Avenue. Seriously, I always have a blast there.

Me: Guilty Pleasure:

JM: Eating ice cream right out of the carton.

Me: Good luck charm:

JM: Dragonfly pendant with my sons' birth stones.

Me: When you were a little girl, you thought you would grow up to be a….

JM: ...a world traveler. I'm getting there!

Me: Last thing bought at the mall:

JM: Sneakers -- black Vans.

Me: Item on your grocery list:

JM: Coconut milk.

Me: French fries or Onion Rings:

JM: French fries.

Me: Pizza: New York or Chicago?

JM: Neither. It MUST be from Wooster Square in New Haven, Sally's or Pepe's.

Me: Midnight snack:

JM: Frozen buttercream frosting.

Me: Bookmark or dog ear?

JM: Formerly, dog ear but now I have a bookmark...

Me: Read with dustjacket or remove it?

JM: With.

Me: Ocean, Lake, Desert, Mountain:

JM: Ideal life would be half desert and half ocean.

Me: Favorite book:

JM: Impossible to choose. Sort of like trying to pick a favorite pet or child,
I love them all.

Me: Item you can't live without:

JM: My laptop.

Me: Who is your favorite writer that most people have never heard of?

JM: ME! Ha ha. Seriously, Sarah Addison Allen.

Me: What kid or teen books made a difference in your world growing up?

JM: Anne of Green Gables. After I read that series, I knew I wanted to be a writer.

Me: Where do you like to write your books (bed ~ coffee shop ~ an office)?

JM: In the corner of my kitchen.

Me: Describe your ideal place to write:

JM: Any room with a view.

Me: What are you reading @ the moment?

JM: Alice in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll) to my sons and Then There Were None
(Agatha Christie) to myself.

Me: Where do you usually read?

JM: Snuggled up in bed with a hot cup of tea.

Me: Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?

JM: Yes, I maintain a dauntingly large to-be-read pile.

Me: Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?

JM: I'm more sporadic with non-fiction. I only read the pertinent pages. It's usually at my desk because I'm doing research.


Thank you, Jenn! Happy Thanksgiving!



About Jenn:


Jenn McKinlay is what is known as a dessert-freakosaurus. She has been known to eat leftover birthday cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the frozen top tier of her wedding cake didn't stand a chance of seeing its first anniversary. Luckily, her husband is more of a salt guy. Since the arrival of the hooligans (her sons), she has honed her culinary skills to include cupcakes and has baked and frosted cupcakes into the shape of cats, mice and outerspace aliens to name just a few. Writing a mystery series based upon one of her favorite food groups (cupcakes) is as enjoyable as licking the beater and she can't wait to whip up the next one. She is the author of another mystery series under the name Lucy Lawrence and lives in Scottsdale, Arizona with her musician husband Chris, their two sons, two cats, one dog and one fish.



Check out Jenn's website here.

Mystery Lover's Kitchen






March 2010



0 Friends chat back...: