.quickedit
BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 19, 2009

Resort Chat: Kimberly Frost



The Book Resort is thrilled to have the incredible Kimberly Frost over for a chat!

Ready? Let's go!

Me: What are you working on now?

KF: I’m working on the third book (tentatively-titled Halfway Hexed) in the Southern Witch series.



I think of the Southern Witch series as a “coming of age in the world of magic” story. Our heroine, Tammy Jo Trask, starts off without much confidence or training, but as the books progress she learns things about herself (like why her magic malfunctions) and who she is. She develops into someone who’s confident and who can handle tough situations that she never would’ve imagined she could handle before the start of the series. As an author, it’s been fun to see her character grow.



Me: Spiderman or Superman?

KF: Spiderman.



Me: Wonder Woman or Batgirl?

KF: Wonder Woman


Me: Chunky or smooth?

KF: Chunky



Me: Favorite Flavor Ice Cream:

KF: Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia



Me: Favorite Ice Cream Topping:

KF: With Ben & Jerry's the toppings are already inside. J



Me: Subway or taxi?

KF: Taxi



Me: TiVO or DVR?

KF: I’m Netflix only. If I recorded and watched shows every week, I’d never get any writing done! I have to ration my entertainment.



Me: Favorite Vacation Place:

KF: I tend to visit different places. My favorite trips have been to Western Europe, Napa Valley, and Belize.



Me: Next vacation destination:

KF: I wish I could tell you. I need a vacation, but don’t have any scheduled!



Me: Favorite NYC hotspot:

KF: Last time I was in New York, I stayed at a fantastic W hotel. I love the SoHo area. I’ve bought some cool black-and-white photography on the street there, and I always visit that part of Manhattan when I’m in New York.







Me: Guilty Pleasure:

KF: Rereading my favorite books. (I feel guilty because there are so many new books on my TBR shelf that I need to read!)



Me: Good luck charm:

KF: A medallion key chain of the Lion Monument in Lucerne, Switzerland.



Me: When you were a little girl, you thought you’d grow up to be a:

KF: Doctor, and I did. That’s my “day” job.



Me: Last thing you bought at the mall:

KF: Clothes for an out-of-town trip.



Me: Item on your grocery list:

KF: Peppermint tea.



Me: French Fries or Onion Rings?

KF: Onion Rings.



Me: Pizza – New York or Chicago?

KF: Chicago.



Me: Midnight snack:

KF: Strawberry rhubarb pie and decaf coffee at House of Pies with my critique partner David who is also a night owl.



Me: Bookmark or Dog Ear?

KF: Bookmark!!



Me: Read with dust jacket or remove it?

KF: Usually read with it.



Me: Ocean, lake, desert, mountain?

KF: Lake


Me: Favorite Book:

KF: Impossible-to-answer question.



Me: Item you can’t live without:

KF: Laptop.


Me: Who is your favorite writer that most people have never heard of?

KF: Carola Dunn. She writes a charming traditional mystery series that’s set in 1920s London.



Me: What kid or teen books made a difference in your world?

KF: I loved the classics that I read such as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but actually I think the books that made the biggest impression were some “glitz novels” that I read when I was in my late teens. They were definitely written for adults, but I was amazed by the rich empowered heroines.



Me: What are you reading at the moment?

KF: Lament: The Faerie Queen’s Deception by Maggie Stiefvater



Me: Where do you usually read?

KF: Lying horizontally across the bed.



Me: Do you usually read more than one book at a time?

KF: No, I’m generally monogamous. ;)



Me: Do you read nonfiction differently?

KF: Yes, when it comes to nonfiction books I jump around a lot within the book. I might read the last chapter first, etc. With novels, I read cover-to-cover, beginning to end.



Thank you so much for having me as a guest at The Book Resort!

Thank you, Kimberly, for the awesome interview & giveaway!


Would-Be Witch (Southern Witch Book 1)

Barely Bewitched (Southern Witch Book 2)




Check out Kimberly's website
Frost Fiction!


Click here to check out
Kimberly's blog!








Berkley Trade
Southern Witch Series #2
ISBN-10: 0425229610
ISBN-13: 978-0425229613


Here’s an excerpt from BARELY BEWITCHED:



Tammy Jo is trying to get Bryn Lyons (whom she’s not supposed to associate with) to help her figure out what her enemies are up to. Recovering from a rough night, Bryn has other things on his mind besides work...



* * *

“I don’t know,” Bryn said.

I edged away from him, getting ready to leave.

“For the love of St. Patrick, how am I supposed to know that?” Bryn said.

“You’re not, but shouldn’t one of us be out there trying to figure things out? And trying to rescue the town? Tomorrow’s Halloween. Did you already cast the spell to reinforce the doors between our world and the faery one?”

“Yeah, I cast it yesterday.”

“I sure hope it holds,” I said, knowing that the circulating pixie dust would make it less likely to. And big cities think smog is the biggest air pollution problem. Little do they know! “So, I should go. Mercutio can stay here and keep you warm.”

“I want you, Tamara. Not your cat. No offense, Mercutio.”

Merc licked a paw unperturbed.

“Besides you can’t go out,” Bryn continued. “The police are looking for you.”

“I know. I’ve got a plan.”

“What’s that?”

“I’m gonna avoid them.”

“Brilliant. From now on, you’re in charge of strategy.”

“If you’ve got a better idea, let’s hear it. I can’t stay in this bed forever.”

“Why not?”

I laughed. Though I’m always attracted to him, this playful side of Bryn was even more irresistible than usual.

Sleep had flattened his glossy black hair against his head, and I slipped my fingers through it to smooth it back into place. “I’m afraid some of that frost has settled into your brain.”

“You might be right. Why don’t you kiss me? That seems to heat me up better than anything.”








BUY THE BOOK

Amazon Barnes & Noble Borders


Find an independent bookstore in your area









0 Friends chat back...: