.quickedit
BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Resort Chat w/ Tanya Egan Gibson


The Book Resort is thrilled to have the charming & delightful Tanya Egan Gibson over for a chat!

Ready? Let's go...


Me: What are you working on now? (If you can give us a hint!)

TEG: My next novel takes place in a theme park -- I don't want to say much more than that because stories kind of "deflate" in my head if I talk about them/write about them too much before they're completely formed. :-)


Me: Spiderman or Superman:

TEG: Got to say neither. You know who's an interesting character, though? Lex Luthor, in the SMALLVILLE retelling of Superman. Because he's a reluctant villain. I'm very interested in characters who *want* to be good but somehow just cannot be.

Me: Wonder Woman or Batgirl:

TEG: Wonder Woman. It was one of my favorite TV shows as a child in the 1970s. I thought Paradise Island (Wonder Woman's original woman-centric home, which happened to be located in The Bermuda Triangle) would be great place to be.

Me: Chunky or Smooth:

TEG: Smooth. Chunky is too much work.

Me: Favorite flavor ice cream:

TEG: Mexican Chocolate or banana. Preferably a scoop of both. I really don't like making choices.

Me: Favorite ice cream topping:

TEG: Hot fudge.

Me: Subway or Taxi:

TEG: Taxi.

Me: Broadway Show or Movie Theater:

TEG: Neither. Living room couch in front of TV loaded with shows we never get a chance to watch. (See below.)

Me: TiVo or DVR:

TEG: We have both, actually. We kind of like TV. A lot. But we don't have a lot of time, so we have to store everything until a later date when that time will magically appear. Which, so far, it hasn't.

Me: Favorite vacation place:

TEG: Hawaii. Or anywhere with a beach.

Me: Next vacation destination:

TEG: We just returned from two weeks in NY. It was wonderful, but after being in hotels that long, being *home* feels like a vacation. I don't even want to contemplate trying to pack up the kids' stuff, etc., for another vacation for quite a while!

Me: Favorite NYC hotspot:

TEG: My daughter's favorite place to visit in NYC: "The dinosaur museum" (Museum of Natural History).

Me: Guilty Pleasure:

TEG: Watching America's Next Top Model -- while eating bread pudding.

Me: Good luck charm:

TEG: My wonderful little girl.

Me: When you were a little girl, you thought you would grow up to be a….

TEG: ...person who talked to animals, like Doctor Doolittle (the Rex Harrison version, not the goofy Eddie Murphy one). Or a superhero. (See Wonder Woman, above.)

Me: Last thing bought at the mall:

TEG: Cute summer shirts for my cuddly one-year-old boy. I confess to having a baby clothing addiction.

Me: Item on your grocery list:

TEG: Half-and-half. I don't care if it has a billion calories and a quadrillion fat grams. Coffee isn't coffee without it.

Me: French fries or Onion Rings:

TEG: Onion rings, of the very crispy ilk.

Me: Pizza: New York or Chicago?

TEG: New York. No contest.

Me: Midnight snack:

TEG: Organic ice cream from locally-owned Three Twins Ice Cream.

Me: Bookmark or dog ear?

TEG: Dog ear. When a book looks used, it just looks more loved to me.

Me: Read with dustjacket or remove it?

TEG: They come off?

Me: Ocean, Lake, Desert, Mountain:

TEG: Ocean.

Me: Favorite book:

TEG: BEL CANTO, by Ann Patchett. I am in awe of what she does with Point of View, and it's a novel that has so much heart and is *so* human.

Me: Item you can't live without:

TEG: Computer.

Me: Who is your favorite writer that most people have never heard of?

TEG: Kim Culbertson, a YA writer (and friend), author of SONGS FOR A TEENAGE NOMAD.

Me: What kid or teen books made a difference in your world growing up?

TEG: I loved the Narnia books -- the idea of being able to walk through a closet into a secret land just fascinated me. And like many children, I was fascinated by the idea of being a child left alone/orphaned who has to find his/her way alone. I must have read A LITTLE PRINCESS, by Frances Hodgson Burnett, fifty times. I love the way books allow kids and teens to vicariously experience the fear/excitement/freedom of being on one's own without having to *actually* be in peril. Part of the paradox of *being* a child is that you want to take risks and feel safe at the same time.

Me: Where do you like to write your books (bed ~ coffee shop ~ an office)?

TEG: I write in bed or on the couch. Even when I have childcare, I leave the door open because I love hearing my kids' voices and because I want them to be able to see me even when I'm working.

Me: Describe your ideal place to write:

TEG: On a deck out by the beach. Coffee next to me, slight breeze carrying the scent of salt water. Gulls making those gull noises. Waves crashing.

Me: What are you reading @ the moment?

TEG: SUNNYSIDE, by Glen David Gold. It's just beautiful. Big and smart and I wish it would go on infinitely.

Me: Where do you usually read?

TEG: Wherever I can. Preferably, in bed or curled on the coach with family.

Me: Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?

TEG: I usually am reading only one or two novels at a time, but I'll also have something nonfiction going (research for my next book) and a literary journal with poems and short stories.

Me: Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?

TEG: Most of the nonfiction I read is for research. In that case, I do lots of annotating in the margins and/or take handwritten or typed notes as well. I rarely annotate when I'm reading fiction, unless I'm *re*-reading passages to analyze how an author accomplishes something specific.

Hurry! Grab a copy of How to Buy a Love of Reading!

Check out Tanya's awesome website @ http://www.tanyaegangibson.com/




0 Friends chat back...: